Monday, March 17, 2014

Sláinte

Happy St. Patrick's Day and the Happiest of 21st Birthdays to my Irish best friend, K-Soms. Turning 21 on St. Patrick's Day, does it get any better than that?!?! I am so excited to celebrate with her tonight, oh and did I mention that UVA got another snow day today?!? Yay!
Are you ready to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Well here is a guide to what to wear, say, listen to, eat, and drink today. Sláinte!
What to Wear
Grab something, anything green. You don't want to get pinched, do you?
What to Say
Erin Go Braugh: Ireland forever (yeah, that's right! but seriously, I no longer find the "Erin Go Bra-less" joke clever, I've heard that so many times)
Sláinte: Cheers
I would try to list more, but if you've ever tried to read anything in Gaelic, you'd know that it is virtually impossible to sound out.
What to Listen To
There are so many great artists and songs out there, I am partial to The Irish Tenors, The Clancy Brothers, and middle-school me loved The Corrs!

Of course, there are also so many great bar songs to sing-along with! I realize Galway Girl is technically not a 100% Irish classic, but it's one of my favorites, so I had to include it.
What to Eat
Meat and Potatoes. I love a good Shepard's Pie, but there are so many other great options. Bangers and Mash, Irish Stew, or soda bread are other options worth trying. 
What to Drink
{via}
This is possibly probably the most important part of the day. God gave the Irish whiskey so they wouldn't rule the world. Try a stout like a Guinness or a Harp. You can also drink some Irish Whiskey or enjoy an Irish Coffee (especially if you have a snow day like us). Another popular drink that might leave you on the floor is an Irish Car Bomb:
3/4 Pint Stout Beer
1/2 Shot Irish Cream
1/2 Shot Irish Whiskey

Enjoy your St. Patrick's Day!

Sláinte!
SSP

1 comment:

  1. As a kid one of my St Patrick's Day favorites was Irish Potato Candy. We used to make them each year in Home Ec, they were so good!!

    ReplyDelete