Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Beauty Bar Cart

Last year I had my eye on this bar cart at a consignment/candy store in Culpeper for two months before finally biting the bullet and getting it. I mean, it was $40 and I knew that I would use it in my current apartment and wherever I move to next. The only thing that had been holding me back was my hesitancy about having a full-fledged bar in my bedroom. Ultimately, I decided that wasn't the only thing the cart could be used for, and the "Beauty Bar Cart" was born.
For the first several months, I just left the natural wood stain finish because I didn't have time to paint it during the school year. Luckily, I had a week back in Charlottesville before classes started and I used my time to paint the cart. It was incredibly simple and took two days to finish thanks to fast-drying with primer spray paint.
I am so happy with how it came out. I went with gold because my room is off-white and I wanted it to pop off the wall a bit. Plus, one of the first bar carts that I saw and absolutely loved was gold. It's the perfect color because it is fun and sophisticated, just like a bar cart! One last note on painting with gold: the dust tends to get everywhere but it will come up with a Clorox wipe or Swiffer so don't freak out if it looks like your entire room was covered in pixie dust!

So what do I have on this bar cart?
Nail Polish: I got these nail polish holders from The Container Store over the summer and they are absolutely perfect. Now I can see all my polishes and they add some color to my cart!
Makeup: I keep my makeup necessities in a Lilly cosmetic bag which allows me to just grab it and go if I am getting ready somewhere else and it keeps my supplies organized and out of sight when I'm not.
Tools: I really wanted to be able to somehow incorporate the wine bottle holders into this cart and using it for my hot hair tools is perfect. It keeps them out of the way and they fit nicely in the divots!
Hair Box: I didn't really know what else to call this, but basically it has hairspray, headbands, bobby pins, etc. I like sitting on my floor to do my hair and this keeps everything within reach.

Bottles: Since I tend to paint my nails and do my makeup in my room, it makes sense to keep some of this stuff in here. I also keep makeup-removing facial cleanser wipes on the cart to use when I get back late at night. 
Books: These don't really have a purpose on here, but they are some of my favorites and they don't really belong on a coffee table, so instead they've found a (temporary) home on my bar cart.
Sewing Kit: If you don't have a needle and thread, I would recommend going out and getting one ASAP. You never know when you're gonna need it!

What would you keep on a Beauty Bar Cart?
xx,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment