Thursday, May 30, 2013

Book Worm: Summer Reading

I have loved to read all my life. I used to "read" books in my crib and sat in the corner of my kindergarten classroom with Magic Tree House books instead of Hooked on Phonics. Growing up, my Momma didn't filter what I read, her policy was simply that if I could understand it, I could read it, and if I couldn't understand it, I wouldn't want to read it anyways. Unfortunately, school tends to kill any reading for pleasure. Even if you are reading an amazing book, picking it apart in class is enough to give a book the death sentence. I read so much for classes these days that I never get to read anything I want to. Since I am so behind on my reading, I am taking this summer to finally catch up on it. I already whizzed through the second half of a book I had been reading on my kindle and now I am mapping out the rest of the books I want to read. 
I have been keeping a mental note of recommendations and took a look at the New York Times Best Seller List to compile some books that I want to pick up or download. 

Game of Thrones
Game of Thrones -George R. R. Martin 
I downloaded this in iBook form instead of Kindle accidentally and so regret it. I love still having my kindle so I can read it outside in the sun, something that is really hard to do on the iPad. These books are so well-known and I keep saying that I want to read them before I see the show.
I am dying to read this book. I have heard amazing things about it and I really want to see what all the hype is about. For those of you who don't know, Sandberg is the COO of Facebook and she was on the Time 100 list of the most influential people in the world. Tip: I just picked this book up at Costco for $13.99! They have great deals on books, perfect for the summer book worm!
The Bride Quartet (and others) - Nora Roberts
Everyone needs a romance book for the beach and tanning. When I am with my girlfriends chatting and not really paying attention to my book, I need reads like this series. My cousin and aunt recommended it and if my cousin actually read this series, you know it has to be worth it (she hates reading). I am headed to my favorite used book store later this week to stock up on a couple of other of Roberts' books that I will blow through while laying out.

Downton Abbey fans, you have to pick this up. I came across this at Costco and got so excited. It is about the people who inspired the hit show, primarily Lady Almina, who Lady Cora is based off of. I am so excited to read this book! It is written by Lady Fiona who is married to the current Earl of Carnarvon and lives in Highclere Castle (the setting of the show)!

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
This book has plagued me for years. I don't know why, but I just cannot seem to get through the unabridged version of it. I actually read the abridged version last year hoping it would help, so I am going to try it again. Tolstoy weaves such an incredible tale in this book and Anna's utter despair. I try to read at least 2 classics a summer, but with the struggle I have with this book and it's length, this may be the only new one I add. Plus, it is free on kindle! There are lots of other free classics on Kindle if you'd like to try one!

Other Books: No Higher Honor- Condoleezza Rice; When a Crocodile Eats The Sun- Peter Goodwin
Seriously I will read and/or re-read a dozen plus books this summer if I get the chance. Personally, I recommend all Nelson DeMille and Vince Flynn novels, especially DeMille for those of you who appreciate a lead character with a sarcastic side like his protagonist, John Corey. Summer is also a great time to re-read some of those books that you hated from High School, who knows, maybe you'll actually love Beowulf ;) 
If you want some other recommendations comment or email me, I'd love to help. As always, I want to know what your recommendations are too!

xoxo,
SSP

No comments:

Post a Comment