Thursday, October 16, 2014

Martha Stewart's No-Carve, Lace Pumpkin

My apartment is taking fall decorations seriously this year, I mean we even have a Halloween shower curtain. Since we have so many decorations, we obviously had to throw in a couple of pumpkins, so I bought some at Trader Joe's the other day. If you're looking for a pumpkin, it's worth noting that their regular pumpkins are $3.99 no matter which one you choose, and they also have a great selection of mini pumpkins and gourds, as well as fantasy pumpkins. Oh, and they have every delicious pumpkin and other fall flavored treat imaginable inside the store...I actually tried pumpkin greek yogurt.


Anyways, I knew that I wanted a real pumpkin for my front door and one for my room, but I wasn't sure what to do with the one in my room. I didn't want to carve the pumpkin and have it slowly rot in my room, but a plain orange pumpkin isn't much fun either. Luckily, on a trip to CVS, the cover of Martha Stewart Living caught my eye and I now have a cute, decorated pumpkin thanks to an easy DIY in the magazine!

    
Materials:
patterned lace stockings
pumpkin
spray paint
masking tape
tarp or mat

Instructions:
1) Cover the pumpkin in the stockings and pull a section tightly around the pumpkin. Then tie knots at each end and cut the excess. *I used the hips section for my pumpkin because the S/M legs were too small*
2) Put masking tape around the stem of the pumpkin so that none of the paint gets on it.
3) Spray paint the pumpkin: It works best if you do a half at a time, rolling it on it's side so that you don't crush the stem.

Tip: Martha's team used a white pumpkin and created their own mixture of paint with an aerosol sprayer. I chose to go the cheap route with a can of spray paint and the cheaper, orange pumpkin. My only recommendation is that if you choose to use an orange pumpkin, make sure you use a totally different color for the paint. The buttery yellow I used was great with the flowers I have in my fireplace, but maroon or another fall color would work great as well.
*original DIY can be found here*
xx,
Erin

1 comment:

  1. Love these pumpkins, the lace is such a cute way to spice up a pumpkin. Plus, I hate carving so this is perfect!

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete