Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fostering Friendships

"He who covers up a misdeed fosters friendship, but he who gossips about it separates friends."
Proverbs 17:9
Chi Omega: Lambda Gamma

I have this habit of opening my bible to a random page, reading a verse and seeing how it applies to my life. I feel like God is really speaking to me when I do this and it calms me down when I can't deal with all the stress. Today's verse made me think of a couple of interactions I've had recently where I said something without thinking and immediately regretted it. Quite frankly, I always regret talking bad about someone right after doing so. I know what it is like to be talked bad about and I know how much hurt can be inflicted by the slightest comment. Even if I pass a judgement on someone or have an opinion, that doesn't mean it should be said. It is not up to me to influence those around me of the characteristics of another person (unless one of my friends is going on a date with someone I know to be seriously bad news bears...obviously). 
I have thought about how much I dislike doing this in the past but never acted on it. Today I am going to make a mini-resolution. I am going to work on stopping doing this. There is no reason to pass harsh judgement on a person's actions and all you'll end up with is an empty hole in your heart where friendship should be fostered.
Be the friend you want to have to everyone you come across. Sure, there will be people who don't treat you with the same respect, but wouldn't you rather be the happy one surrounded with good friends?

And on that note, I am going to stop procrastinating on this paper...
xoxo,
SSP

No comments:

Post a Comment