Sunday, February 3, 2013

I'm Going to Disney World!

Ladies and Gents,
It is that time of year again.  The time when families bring out their secret recipes, everyone gathers around the TV, and we all eat more than we care to admit.  No, it's not Thanksgiving, it's Super Bowl Sunday.  
I have a mild obsession with sports...just a little.  For example, most people go to Florida for spring break with their friends and drink boat drinks, I go with my dad to watch the Yankee's Spring Training. But today is one of those days where it doesn't matter what you care about the other 364 days of the year.  Today everyone is a sports fan.  Whether you are cheering for a team, a particular player, or just for the clock to wind down so you can see Beyonce tear up that stage at halftime, you're cheering for something.  This year I am going to be a Ravens fan, seeing as my beloved Redskins fell in the playoffs after a miracle season behind Robert Griffin III and I am going to miss the Ray Lewis dancing. Update: after getting an upset text from one of my best friends (Steelers fan...from Baltimore) I have decided that I am more cheering for Ray Lewis, a great game and a killer Beyonce halftime show than the Ravens in particular (happy, shannon? haha) Let's be real, I'm sad the Redskins aren't in it, and thrilled the Patriots can't win it.
And, trust me, even if you think you don't know football, you know more than some people.  In high school, I had some of my girlfriends over for the game and one of them asked me: "What is it called when you run into that big area down there with the logo?" yeah, she was asking about a touchdown. I thought hoped she was kidding when she asked...oh dear.  Just in case that stumped you as much as it did my friend, or you think that American football and soccer are the same thing, here is a link that should teach you what you need to know before you watch the game: Beginner's Guide to Football
Even someone who doesn't get the game can appreciate other parts of Super Bowl Sunday.  One of my favorite parts of Super Bowl Sunday is the food.  I love bar food, simple as that.  Put some nachos and wings in front of me and I am all set.  Today, though, is one of those days where you can have fun  and mix up the bar food since you're the chef (unless you watch the game at a bar, I guess).  There are so many great recipes out there, and I am sure that most of you have already planned yours and are not a procrastinator planning to go to the grocery store on game day, like me.
And you don't have to wear a jersey to get in the spirit, either.  Although I am debating wearing my old-school Darrell Green jersey, I will probably just try to represent the ravens with a cute outfit.
Don't know what colors the teams are? Don't worry:
Ravens: Purple, Black, Gold, White
49ers: Red and Gold
Seriously, don't wear red if you're in Baltimore or Purple if you're in San Francisco unless you love that team, you WILL piss off the die-hard fans.

So throw together some nachos, potato skins, wings, chill those brewskis and wait to see which Quarterback is going to Disney World.

xoxo,
SSP

No comments:

Post a Comment