Wednesday, February 11, 2015

All Black Everything: Styling a Monochromatic Outifit

"Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black says it all."
-Coco Chanel
{via}


I have always loved a little black dress, and my black ponte pants from J. Crew are my favorite thing to wear in the winter, but recently I have discovered a new love for the color black. I used to tell myself to only wear one black article of clothing, at the risk of looking like I am on my way to a funeral or just really drab. But, after seeing everyone wearing black, and totally rocking it, I decided that it really isn't only associated with those things. Black makes you look chic, slim, and sophisticated. Monochromatic outfits can sometimes look like a bit much, but with a neutral, it can make even the simplest outfit look amazing. I'm probably not going to start wearing all black, all the time, but I am definitely entertaining the idea of some more black on black outfits.

One: Mix Textures
A great example of this is wearing leather pants and a cotton top, like my outfit today. If you mix the two, the black doesn't look flat since they have different finishes. If you have a black faux fur vest, that would also look great!

Two: Accessorize
I'm sure you saw this one coming, but you can think of a black outfit as a backdrop for an awesome necklace. If you don't want to do something loud, a subtle gold necklace can be pretty, too. You don't have to wear a "statement necklace" to actually make a statement.

Three: Bright Accents
Red lipstick, a patterned shoe, colorful nails, etc. You can always add a little color to the outfit without taking away from the monochromatic theme.

Four: Mix and Match
This is not the most helpful tip, but try on the black items in your wardrobe and see which ones work best together. If you do this now, you will be able to grab them out of your closet in a rush any time you're running behind or don't want to put too much effort into an outfit.

Five: Keep it simple
Honestly, this outfit can be as simple or styled as you want it to be. Just because you're throwing on a black top, flats, and black jeans, doesn't mean you look sloppy. Just make sure everything is clean, not wrinkled and you don't have last night's makeup under your eyes.

{via}
{via}
{via}
{via}

{via}

xx
erin

No comments:

Post a Comment