Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cat Lady Confessions...

...no, I am not a cat lady. I am 100% a dog person, let's just get that straight before we dive into this post.
However, recently I have been spending my evenings like a quintessential Cat Lady/Spinster. I love BBC Miniseries'. There, I said it. It is my total Netflix guilty pleasure. They're fabulous for the classic book lover like me. They take a book and, because it's over several episodes, actually tend to really embody the spirit of the novel.
My favorite BBC miniseries of all time actually doubles as one of my favorite cinematic events to watch. Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy might just be the greatest thing ever (see old post about my love for Darcy). Unfortunately it is not available on Netflix, but it is totally worth the investment if you ever get the chance.
Colin Firth as Darcy over everything
Don't worry, though, there are plenty of good options on Netflix just waiting for other classics nerds to have a relaxing night in, settling down for a couple of hours to watch one of these. Also, I have heard that a glass of wine and a homemade dinner is the best accompaniment for this ;)

North and South
Based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell
 
I am not kidding. I am absolutely in love with this one. I wish I had read the book before I watched it because I just don't see how it could even compare...yeah, that's how good this was. There is definitely a certain Pride and Prejudice element here with their relationship, however the circumstances of the plot are quite different and the characters are amazing. The dynamic of this is far different than the gentry that are so often covered in Austen novels, adding a really refreshing labor element.

The Forsyte Saga
Based on the novels by John Galsworthy
Ohhhh, this series. This is a fabulous miniseries that will actually take a few weeks to watch. The character development is absolutely spectacular and you end up gaining a really personal attachment to some of them. All the women in my family have our various preferences for favorites because it really is that well developed! Watch this...just do it. It's shorter than a real TV series, but you can't watch it all in one sitting.

The Buccaneers
Based on the novel by Edith Wharton
A great story about four American women coming out in London society. Well worth the watch and seeing where the different women end up and how their values have shaped them and their lives.

Pride and Prejudice
Based on the novel by Jane Austen
I know, I know, I told you to watch Colin Firth. But if you just want one for now, this one is pretty good. I thought the actor was a bit stern, but overall very nicely played Darcy...a role I find has been historically hard to cast. Also, the actor who portrays Mr. Collins is absolutely great in this movie...just the sort of repulsive, yet harmless character I always imagined.

What is your Netflix guilty pleasure?


xoxo,
SSP

1 comment:

  1. I have a legitimate love for the BBC Miniseries of Emma. SWOON. Knightly is my favorite Austen hero like ever....I used to have a thing for Darcy but now Knightly might've topped him.

    ReplyDelete