Sunday, December 7, 2014

Christmas Cookies for Every Craving

Everyone has different reactions to stress. Some people nap, some eat, some exercise, but personally, I love to go into my kitchen and bake. Normally I will just bake something like chocolate chip cookies that I have the recipe memorized for because it is a mindless task, but this year I have been using that time to test out new recipes from the Martha Stewart Living magazine, Pinterest, etc. With finals approaching and Christmas being one of my favorite seasons, I have already tried quite a few holiday cookie recipes and plan to try even more in the coming weeks. Below are some of my favorite recipes that I've made, or want to make. Believe it or not, I think my current favorite recipe comes from Taylor Swift. Also, I promise all of these can be made without the aid of an electric mixer or food processor since I have neither... seriously, I hand-whisk everything. I did ask for a mixer for Christmas though, so maybe that will all be changing...(*wink wink* Momma)
I definitely used too much flour when I made these last week, but people still enjoyed them! Personally, I would recommend buying pre-crushed peppermint or candy canes for this one because those peppermint rounds are a lot harder to crush than I realized! This is basically one of Martha Stewart's great sugar cookie recipes with just a subtle hint of peppermint, definitely nothing overwhelming. However, I think next time I make them I will add a dash of peppermint extract to the batter to really enhance the holiday flavor.

These cookies kill two birds with one stone. I actually stumbled across these while searching for a good snickerdoodle recipe and thought these would be a fun holiday variation of a cookie classic. Plus, it makes me feel less guilty about using the pre-made Pillsbury gingerbread dough that you just have to roll out since I will at least be making something with a ginger flavor.

These sound amazing. I feel like the same few flavors get all the attention this time of year, neglecting other wonderful flavors like cranberry! So, I haven't actually made these yet, but I probably will soon...do you think the twins will like them? I hope so, since I use them and their friends as guinea pigs when I am home (they don't complain).

When I made these, I had to tweak the recipe a bit due to Kroger having largely insufficient holiday baking supplies. Seriously, they had no peppermint chips of any kind, Christmas sprinkles, cake mixes, or Christmas Oreos (I needed them for Christmas bark). I was more than a little annoyed after that trip, but I substituted chopped up Ghirardelli peppermint bark squares for the peppermint chips and they turned out just fine. I also used a devil's food cake instead of dark chocolate which was perfectly good as well!

Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies

When I was going through my list of holiday flavors to include, I realized I had totally skipped over anything with nuts! There are so many options out there for praline, walnut, chestnut, etc. cookies too, but I love using pecans, plus I already have some in my kitchen from various other projects. On the note of nut-flavored items, I highly recommend the new Chestnut Praline Latte at Starbucks. I got a skim one over Thanksgiving to try and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it!

Thank you, Taylor Swift. These cookies are basically like a chai latte and I love it. The sugar cookie recipe she recommended is one I am going to use for years to come. Plus, she also introduced me to two new cooking blogs through this post, so I am doubly grateful. I would definitely recommend adding the icing glaze on the cookie because it wouldn't be quite sweet enough without it, but to each their own. I hope you enjoy my favorite cookie of the season...maybe even the year.*

What are your favorite Christmas cookie recipes? I'd love more suggestions!
xx
erin

*just kidding, the salted caramel dark chocolate chip cookies are going to take that title

2 comments:

  1. These cookies look incredible.. Looks like I need to make a Walmart run to pick up some ingredients and get baking!!

    Thanks for sharing :)
    Cathleen // Classy Cathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That peppermint crunch chocolate cake cookie recipe looks super easy and the cookies look delicious! I might have to try that out this year.

    ReplyDelete